CRAPPIE CAKES- FROM NATURE'S FRIDGE TO YOUR FRY PAN
The silver lining of the current cold is all the crappie coming through the ice. When you really want the fruits of your efforts, try this great recipe for Crappie Cakes. Eaten stand alone or on a sandwich, nothing beats the sweet taste of good crappie. Ingredients:
One pack Zatarans crab boil
1 red bell pepper chopped
1/2 medium onion chopped
1 cup saltine crackers finely crushed (about one sleeve)
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1 large egg beaten
2 tsp Old Bay seasoning
2 tsp Worcestershire
2 tsp mustard
1/4 tsp hot sauce (optional)
Crappie fillets (ingredients are per pound of fillets)
1. Saute the chopped onion and pepper till soft with 1/2 tablespoon butter
2. Boil 1 qt water with 1 oz crab boil.
3. Drop fillets into boiling water. Bring back to boil for 2 min
4. Take off heat and let set for 5 min, then drain
5. Put saltines in ziplock bag and pound to dust.
6. Mix mayo, egg, Old Bay, Worcestershire, mustard, hot sauce in a bowl.
7. Mix pepper/onion mix, saltines and wet ingredients in the bowl together
8. Shred cooked crappie into the mix, but don't mix too aggressively to keep crappie flakey. Form cakes with the mixture.
9. Saute the cakes in 1 tbs (or a little more if needed) in skillet= med. heat
10. Cook cakes until they have a golden brown crust, Flip to other side.
If you made small patties, serve with favorite sauce such as tartar or cocktail. If you made larger, add a slice of tomato and lettuce and enjoy on a crusty sandwich roll.