GOT FISH IN YOUR FREEZER? TIME TO THAW OUT!
Updated: Feb 18, 2021
Do you have some striped bass, halibut, cod or other chunky white fish in your freezer from last season's catch? Are you looking for a recipe that will take winter's chill out of your bones? Well you've come to the right place. Today's Fish of the Day is Fish with Pancetta, Artichokes & Olives- a hardy Mediterranean dish to serve with crusty bread. This is a one skillet dish that will have the family thinking you worked on it all day. Ingredients:
4 6-oz. pieces thick white fish fillet such as striped bass, halibut or cod.
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
2 oz. diced pancetta (1/4 cup but add more if you like)
1 medium yellow onion diced
1 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
Do you like garlic? Diced to your taste
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 15-oz. can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
1 cup marinated artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
1/2 cup large green olives, such pitted/ halved OR use black olives if you prefer... or mix. It is really to your taste!
1. Pat fish dry and season w/ salt and pepper to your tastes.
2. Heat oil in 12-inch non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
3. Add pancetta, stirring until crisp and golden (2 - 4 minutes)
4. Using slotted spoon, transfer pancetta to paper-towel-lined plate, leaving fat in the pan.
5. Add fish to the skillet and cook until slightly golden, about 3 minutes. Flip and transfer to a plate, seared side up.
6. Add the onion, thyme, and pepper flakes to the skillet stirring, until the onion is soft, about 4 minutes.
7. Add wine and cook until the pan is almost dry, about 1 minute.
8. Add the tomatoes (incl. the juice), artichokes, and olives. Simmer and stir to meld the flavors, about 2 minutes. This is where you add the garlic if you want. Totally up to you!
9. Lower the heat to medium and place fish in the sauce, keeping the seared side exposed. Cover and cook until the fish is just cooked through, about 3 minutes.
10. Sprinkle with the pancetta, and serve in a shallow bowl. Don't forget the crusty bread for that sauce! Buon Appetito!