PERFECT DINNER AFTER A DAY ON ICE,
Updated: Jan 28
Pro Team Memeber Brenton Zitka
knew the family would need a good meal after a day of ice fishing, Fish fillets batter dipped and fried is the standard, but Brenton knew they would want something more substantial- how about a hardy chowder? A good Chowder is the perfect meal to restore energy and get you ready for another day on the ice. Here's a great recipe to try next time you have a "mess of panfish":
PANFISH CHOWDER Ingredients:
6 bacon strips, cut to 1-inch pieces
2/3 cup chopped onion and 1/2 cup chopped celery
3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 cups water
1/2 cup chopped carrots
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon dill weed
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 pound crappie, perch, or bluegill fillets cut into 1-inch chunks
1 cup half-and-half cream
- In a 3-qt. saucepan, cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove bacon to paper towels; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings.
- Sautee onion and celery in reserved drippings until tender.
- Add the potatoes, water, carrots, parsley, lemon juice and seasonings.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Add fish and bacon; simmer for 5 minutes or just until fish flakes with a fork. Add cream and heat through.
Serve with or without your favorite oyster crackers.